Re: [dev][dwm][patch] dwm toggleignore patch

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 17:18:37 +0100

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Markus Teich
<markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> Am 2013-08-20 16:36, schrieb Raphaël Proust:
>> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Markus Teich
>> <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
>> […]
>
> If you use some clients (i assume you use them on top of the client
> stack/list as i do), this happens automatically as you zoom needed
> clients into the master area during work.

Most of the time it's okay, but there are the odd cases when I have
been spawning a few clients on several "less important" tags and they
"jump" in front of the clients that are on "important" tags when I
merge the tags in the same view.

I have to refocus the important windows (the one I keep on the important tags.

Actually it could be useful to have a de-focus feature that would push
the client down the whole stack… I might give that a shot some time.

>>> […]
>> […]
>

> It still takes time getting used to this additional way of
> achieving client selection.

Yes. But for those that have a workflow that would benefit from this
new way, it'd probably be time well spent. It took me some time to get
use to dwm in the frist place.

> Also i forgot to mention, that it seems unintuitive to me, that i have
> to use the mouse to unignore a client, although the rest of dwm's
> functions (appart from moving/resizing floatign windows) can be accessed
> just by the keyboard.

Maybe Mod+Shift+i could unignore all window / reignore all previously ignored…

I use the mouse a lot. Maybe even more than Mod+j/k. Mostly because I
use applications that are sensitive to the position of the mouse (Acme
and Firefox) so that wouldn't be a problem.

The feature's usefulness is highly workflow dependent. But I think it
has its place in with the patches on the website.

--
Raphaël Proust