Re: [dev] [dwm] Weird behavior of Java programs

From: <7heo_AT_mail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 01:28:50 +0200

On 09/10/2013 12:57 AM, Alex Pilon wrote:
>> On 09/09/2013 10:31 PM, Louis-Guillaume Gagnon wrote:
>>> Simple case of RTMF: the issue is explained in dwm's man page.
> On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 11:54:53PM +0200, 7heo_AT_mail.com wrote:
>> Right, when I have a problem with java, I always read dwm's man...
>> That's utterly logical.
> “When I have a problem with Java that only shows up in DWM and I know
> little more, why not check the ‘BUGS’ section of the DWM man page?”
>
> Oh right, not everybody does that anymore, and GNU junk points to a
> texinfo manual half the time.
While you're right about the texinfo/GNU junk part,
there is a fact I would like to point out:

Java is bloated, horrible, defective by design,
has too many flaws to list them all, and relies
on a jvm that can (will?) be implemented diff-
erently on each platform you use.

As a consequence, if dwmstatus fails, I read the
man, if dmenu fails, ditto, same for dwm, and all
the suckless software. I also do that on NetBSD.

But with Java? Sorry, but I'm pretty sure that
reading any man is a waste of time almost all
the time. On the other hand, reading the web
is relevant here, and it would even be great to
find the dwm man page that way.

Oh but wait! http://man.suckless.org/ gives a 404!
Hmm, I wonder why I couldn't find relevant information
on the suckless website...

--
7heo