Re: [dev] [st][patch] scrollback buffer

From: Chris Down <chris_AT_chrisdown.name>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 00:43:53 +0800

On 2013-10-16 16:15, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> You can add it as a patch to the wiki but it won’t be included in main‐
> line. Scrollback is what you have other applications for. Because next you
> will want scrollback selection, scrollback editing and scrollback history
> files. Other people solved these problems in software already.

Is the implication in this that you consider a scrollback buffer to not be
within the reasonable remit of a terminal emulator? Because, if so, I'm
interested in why you think that.

My general rule for where determining where functionality should be placed when
developing stacks is this: where can I implement this functionality that it
would require the least level of code duplication/reimplementation? I'm pretty
sure that's at the terminal level in this instance. I don't find this patch
unreasonable for any other reason, so I don't understand this rejection.

tmux and the like are useful, but I consider its implementation of a scrollback
buffer to be a duplication of functionality that the terminal emulator should
already include (although obviously, the usefulness of the terminal's
scrollback buffer in tmux's instance is of limited use due to the way it is
implemented).