Re: [dev] [sbase] Command list

From: Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 12:38:11 +0000 (UTC)

Truls Becken dixit:

>bc dc

bc can be done on top of dc; BSD does that (the dc uses OpenSSL
for arbitrary-precision numbers).

>killall

I object, killall should never, ever, be used. (Try it on a
Solaris system, for example.)

>On 2013-10-18, at 12:29, sin wrote:

>> make: Do we really need this in sbase?
>
>Make is a basic tool, useful in lots of situations.

I’d call it a development tool, normally.

>It would be nice not to rely on GNU for this.

NetBSD make is portable (they use it for pkgsrc®).
(MirBSD’s is, somewhat, but in a sucky way, and
I’ve not had time to redo it since I learned a
lot in the meantime; it was only a quick hack,
never planned to persist, anyway.)

>> sh: We agreed to do without a shell.
>
>Yes, and I agree for the user shell. It would still be nice to have a
>minimalistic one for scripts, where extensions should be banned anyway.

The problem is that all existing “minimalistic” ones suck.
The posh approach (take pdksh and strip all extensions
away) is interesting, but posh is very buggy, and the
author said he’d base on mksh were he to restart now.
But maintainance effort is hell on this (and you *will*
accidentally remove things that are not extensions, and
you *will* run into the problem that POSIX is, slowly,
standardising most of them like $((…)) and $'…' now).

That being said, mksh/lksh makes a nice /bin/sh for most systems…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
This space for rent.