Re: [dev] [st][patch] scrollback buffer

From: v4hn <me_AT_v4hn.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 13:36:01 +0200

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 02:17:54PM +0300, Edgaras wrote:
> Well it seems it does not work for me on raspberry,
> not that it is a huge loss,
> as I said I got used to this.

The relevant kernel option is CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK and
by default allocates 64K of RAM for software scrollback.
Maybe you dropped it for the pi? Premature optimization in my opinion.
screen consumes much more.

Concerning the rest of the discussion:

Using screen/tmux for scrollback is everything but suckless.
It's like using KDE to read your mail.
It tells you where your toothbrush is when you start cooking your meal.

Oh, and screen tries to simulate multiple terminals.
It _multiplexes_ the history.
it's not meant to _provide_ it in the first place.

Essentially, there are two suckless options here:

- provide a scrollback with st and configurable scrollback size (hell, just
  set it to 0 before compiling if you don't want it). The current behaviour
  of the mousewheel is not even touched with the proposed patch.
  The patch is clean and neat as Jochen spent quite some time on it.
- Write a clean standalone program which _only_ handles scrollback.
  This scatters responsibility quite far even in terms of suckless,
  but whatever. I only think this could result in worse code
  than the current patch..

v4hn