Re: [dev] IRC on Free node

From: patrick295767 <patrick295767_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 11:27:28 +0100

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 4:10 AM, Thorsten Glaser <tg_AT_mirbsd.de> wrote:
> patrick295767 patrick295767 dixit:
>
>>Security is not perfect. A bouncer is fine, or helps.
>
> You just want to flame, I’d guess.

No, no. I am kinda checking regularly my machines, and I avoid as much
as possible to leave open services.
My ssh server works only on demand, so that I limit possibilities. Somehow.
I use several tools to check the box regular. I never got too much troubles.
Once there was one that was trying to brute force my ssh, but, it was
sent very fast to blacklist.
I looked up a bit, and it was a known (found on web list of banned
ip's) hackers based on Russia.
Well, it may happen. Paranoia, security checking isn't that bad...

>>The idea of protecting your data makes senses. Security is an
>>important topic.
>
> Says the Googlemail user. Oh, the irony.

ah ah. Yeah, ;) this is true.
I just see below another Gmail user. Damn,... Email is so unsecured.

>>2013/11/2 Ryan O’Hara <rninty_AT_gmail.com>:
> […]
>>> On 11/1/13, patrick295767 patrick295767 <patrick295767_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And neither the one nor the other Googlemail user know how to
> properly write eMails. I sense a theme there.
>
> DE: http://www.afaik.de/usenet/faq/zitieren/
> EN: http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
> NL: http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/

But you can always encrypt the email.
Btw, why aren't we posting (emailing to the list) in plain text and
encrypted actually? Do you know some dev lists where they use
encryption?
- I would be interesting if there was. - Yes, this would be a first good step.

> […]
>
> Oh please. I’ve been on freenode two namechanges ago, NickServ
> says it’s been over 12 years, and it’s not happened to me, and
> I disbelieve in cloaks. (Though, using IPv6 surely helps ☺)

it helps, better than nothing

> bye,
> //mirabilos
> PS: My reason for avoiding OFTC is simply that the IRC client I use
> connects to only one IRC server at a time.

Do you use also ii ?

Regards