Re: [dev] Bringing together OS'es terminals and their codepages

From: Troels Henriksen <athas_AT_sigkill.dk>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:49:57 +0100

patrick295767 patrick295767 <patrick295767_AT_gmail.com> writes:

> I am not so sure if you can get all the unicode well displayed on most
> terminals.
>
> If you make a nice art / ascii graphic, you are never sure whether it
> will end well displayed depending on the system/terminal, that the
> user uses.

No, but it's more likely than any other encoding (apart from plain
ASCII), and it will only improve, given that almost every platform has
adopted at least Unicode (and often UTF-8 specifically) as the preferred
way to deal with text.

I'm not saying UTF-8 is perfect, just that it's the best choice. But
yeah, stay away from the weirdest characters. For example, '💩', which I
often find useful when discussing software, is missing in many fonts.

--
\  Troels
/\ Henriksen