Re: [dev] New utility "when"

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 22:54:09 -0500

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Fernando C.V. <ferkiwi_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM, Fernando C.V. <ferkiwi_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> $ { ssh user_AT_host &; } && xmessage connected
>
> Whoops, it's:
>
> $ { ssh user_AT_host & } && xmessage connected
>
> Btw, what "when" does is that it considers that the program is running
> successfully if it didn't exit with error after X seconds.\\

Exactly! I

> Sounds like a little nice useful utility, even thoguh I don't like
> that the commands have to be passed "quoted", as arguments just like
> that. Not sure if there's a much better way to do it, though.

I was thinking about separating commands with ";" (I thought about --,
but lots of commands actually use it) which would of course need to be
escaped in the same way find(1) ends -exec and friends. However, I've
used find in the past for just this type of thing, so maybe it's not
the right choice, but the full command can always just be quoted --
you'd have to to use pipes anyway, which is certainly common.

--
http://apgwoz.com