Re: [dev] [st][patch] externalpipe()

From: Rob <robpilling_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:05:15 +0000 (GMT)

Alexander Huemer wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 08:21:34PM +0100, Alexander Huemer wrote:
>> Hi Rob!
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 01:56:15PM +0000, Rob wrote:
>>>
>>> Attached is a patch which gives st the ability to spit out its current
>>> screen text to another program.
>>
>> IMHO it makes sense here to use `xargs -r`, otherwise hitting escape in
>> dmenu results in calling `open` without argument, which does not make
>> much sense.

Ah! Didn't know about that, nice suggestion. Admittedly a GNU extension
but it's very fitting.

>>> Where xurls[1] is a script that pulls out urls from the text, then I
>>> can pick one in dmenu and open[2] it in a browser.
>>
>> Very cool, thanks for writing this. I wanted to hack something
>> equivalent to [1] during 30C3, which I won't now because this is much
>> cooler :)
>
> Sorry, [1] was missing.
>
> Kind regards,
> -Alex
>
> [1] https://raw.github.com/muennich/urxvt-perls/master/url-select

Yeah, based it off url-select, love that feature. urxvt takes 8 seconds
or so to open on my laptop, so necessity is the mother of invention and
all that.

Anyway, glad you've found it useful, it's been pushed to the wiki with
your modification now too.

Rob