Re: [dev] [sbase][RFC] Add a simplistic version of tr

From: Strake <strake888_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 13:07:10 -0500

On 24/12/2013, Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> So I guess the question boils down to whether you would rather use
> libutf or the standardized, POSIX-locale-dependent wchar.h functions for
> the UTF-8 conversion. I see one advantage of the wchar.h functions:
> If we use them we could avoid adding an external dependency to
> sbase. The disadvantage is the fact that we would depend on the
> whole posix-locale-thing which seems unnecessarily complicated in
> places.

Use wchar.h functions and a sane libc, e.g. musl, which has a pure
UTF-8 C locale, which ISO C explicitly allows [1].

The 8-bit clarity what POSIX wants [1] seems nonsense to me, as one
can use byte functions for that, but I may be wrong.

[1] http://wiki.musl-libc.org/wiki/Functional_differences_from_glibc