Re: [dev] Re: Article about suckless on root.cz

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:35:14 +0000

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 04:30:49PM +0100, stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:
> Surf is a sane interface to a web and web-viewer that do inevitably
> suck big time.

Yes, but the web-viewer could suck less, internally. GTK & glib
being rather obvious examples. With that in mind I thought I'd take
another look at webkitnix today, and found that they're not planning
to maintain it anymore[0]. Which sucks.

But frankly given the organisations who control the W3C I think the
web through "fully featured" rendering engines is fundamentally doomed
anyway. See [1], for a recent example. Well, doomed as far as being
a platform that's worth spending time on.

0. https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2014-January/026082.html
1. https://github.com/w3c/webappsec/commit/cbfaa8edfadebf21a9c7428242c12e45934d8c55