Re: [dev] XML vs HTML (was: Article about suckless on root.cz)

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 13:37:00 +0100

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 15:07:32 +0100
"Dmitrij D. Czarkoff" <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, if parser behavior is simple and easily predictable, the task
> of writing markup is easier. When I write correct HTML, I still have to
> open browser to see how it renders, because I have no way to predict the
> actual result (apart from my experience with different generally
> unexpected results that serve me the basis for educated guess).

I'm interested. Do you have a specific case where that happened?

Normally, there shouldn't be ambiguities of _rendering_ in (X)HTML,
given it is just a language to represent structured data.
Thus, rendering issues are either originating from bad browser-defaults
or faulty CSS.
If you refer to this, I totally agree: When you start styling a
HTML-document, you usually can't write the CSS down and then be done,
but often have to check the page by reloading.
As we're discussing XML- and SGML-parsers here, this is another issue.

> This alone is sufficient for me to be all for simplistic strict parser
> with zero fault tollerance.

Definitely!

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>