Re: [dev] tmux/screen alternative

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:42:01 +0100

On 22 February 2014 14:37, Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de> wrote:
> Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>> All I want is to have full logging of all output when building various stuff,
>> now stali related stuff.
>
> I would just pipe it to less.

I rather want persistent logs. And I want it implicit. Sometimes I
realize, oh dang, what was printed before and then it's too late
already to launch less ;) Actually this is the main reason for a
scrollback buffer IMO, it'll be only used if you forgot to pipe the
output somewhere...

Back in the older days, I actually intended towards a totally
different st design as it is today. Originally it was planned to
define a new client/server model, where st would've been just a client
with an own formatting language to a st server. The st server was
intended to provide full persistent logging and filter programs for
the different terms that it would have translated into the st
formatting instead.

Nowadays st is just a simpler terminal ;)

-Anselm