Re: [dev] [dwm] Why fullscreen at all?

From: Michael Hauser <awarewater_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 01:12:08 +0100

stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de writes:
> * Michael Hauser 2014-02-23 20:39
> > Why let applications that have their own fullscreen settings take away
> > control from the window manager?
> > [...]

s/settings/mode/

Sorry for being unclear on this.

> I may be missing something, but for most applications, unfloating them
> works just fine to "return control", in your terms, to the dwm: they get
> managed while they think they are full screen. (Here at least. I should
> admit I didn't try with a recent dwm)

I am using dwm-git, version number says 6.1; and no, they do not become
floating clients.

I tried it with feh, FBRreader and just fired up Firefox and hit F11 to
toggle it to fullscreen. I believe other apps work the same way. There
must be some special 'fullscreen' mode, that then keeps the client in
the foreground, no matter what.

Chris' recent posted patch,
http://dwm.suckless.org/patches/alwaysfullscreen keeps the focus on the
active fullscreen client (and removes eventual confusions); albeit
that's not what I'm talking about.

So, Why let applications that have their own fullscreen mode take away
control from the window manager, i.e. keep them on top with no way to
cycle through the other clients?

I understand that this behavior would be useful for kiosk systems. I
want to be able to have clients in this fulscreen state and be able to
tile them.

> If these few more keystrokes bug you, probably adding a rule which makes
> the fullscreen windows managed could do the job for you.

Elaborate, please. How would you do this?

> --s.

Cheers, mih

--
'aware water' is an anagram for 'we are at war'