Re: [dev] What is bad with Python

From: v4hn <me_AT_v4hn.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 00:06:19 +0100

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:35:18PM +0100, FRIGN wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 23:21:02 +0100
> Szymon Olewniczak <szymon.olewniczak_AT_rid.pl> wrote:
> > (...) and I must admit that I've found Python much less
> > harmful that I had previously considered it to be.
>
> I agree on this one. The language designers did a good job.

That depends on your perspective. Python, _in my opinion_ much more than C code,
should not be written by beginners, but on the other hand is one of the most attractive
languages for newbies. The language is way _too_ flexible and makes people believe
they know how to code just because they know a couple of more or less sensible concepts
like lambda, list comprehension, *iterator, iterator*int, ...
I observe _really strong_ hammer->nail effects quite regularly...

In the end, there a lot of people who learnt to write unmaintainable code.
I seriously prefer perl-programmers who know what they're doing.

v4hn