Re: [dev] What is bad with Python

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 08:37:10 +0100

On Tue, 4 Mar 2014 10:18:02 +0100
Manolo Martínez <manolo_AT_austrohungaro.com> wrote:

> I am not a programmer, but I write code in scientific modelling. Python
> + Numpy + Scipy (which, I understand, takes care of typing in a
> reasonable manner) is plenty fast, and very readable (and writable).

No wonder, given Numpy and Scipy are mostly written in C and Fortran ;).
So basically, using Numpy and Scipy, you take the convenience of the
Python syntax (*debatable*) and combine it with an interface to the
background-libs written in fast, compiled languages.

However, what we're discussing here is vanilla Python with the tools
the normal user has available on his computer.
I doubt a reasonable majority has Numpy and Scipy installed on its
computers, but at least, it is one way to get along.

Moreover, from what I understand, you actually use special types
supplied by the Scipy packages instead of core-language-features, which
could also be maleficent.

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>