Re: [dev] What is bad with Python

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nsz_AT_port70.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2014 22:34:20 +0100

* Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com> [2014-03-04 21:30:47 +0100]:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2014 at 08:56:18PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> > dont expect fast opengl access from go) and you cannot really
> > use it for quick scripting tasks
>
> Why should Go not be suited for quick scripting tasks? I use Go to parse
> text files, reformat them and/or sending them to restful services. It
> really works quite well.

eg i have various awk, lua and sh scripts on my router
to do things, if there is some bug in them i can log in
to the router and fix them right there or try them on
another host

i don't need a cross compiler toolchain for this or
complicated setup for deploying different binaries
to different systems
(not to mention that a statically linked go executable
would not even fit on the target and the compiler would
pedantically complain about unused package imports or
other issues that does not matter in a single-use script)

for me scripting means that you can write one-liners to
a command prompt or edit a single text file with iterative
updates and don't need development tools to execute it

maybe go has a better http library than other languages,
so you can easily automate such tasks, but that does not
make it a scripting language imo