Re: [dev] Screencasts?

From: Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:48:05 +0100

Kai Hendry said:
> Videos should be easier to store (if they are self-contained), create
> and consume.

Videos are harder to store (they are a lot larger then every other type
of content), to create (video codecs are very bad at encoding text) and
- the hardest part - to consume (you need to either memorize the whole
process or enter infinite "play - skip backwards - pause" cycle to
follow instructions).

It only pays of for very UI-heavy software with tricky interaction and
"low discoverability" of UI elements, but even then screenshots normally
do better. Effectively the only good cases for screencasts I've seen to
date are video games and Metro UI.

> Anyway, there is room for both mediums.

Suckless software workflow is much easier to describe in plain text. If
there is any room for screencasting, it definitely isn't here.

--
Dmitrij D. Czarkoff