Re: [dev] [proposal] Suckless Tox-Client as a Skype replacement

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 00:22:53 +0100

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 18:55:25 -0400
Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:

Hey Nick,

thanks for your reply.

> linphone provides a cli client. I used it for a little while. It's
> kind of annoying, but probably less so than the GTK version.

Well I looked into SIP a few months ago and couldn't become a fan of
it.
However, it is an example where it has been done, which is a fair point.

> The Tox website doesn't appear to be loading for me at the moment.
> Are they working on ZRTP & OTR features? Because I'm completely
> uninterested in chat projects that aren't.

Well it loads for me, even on my London-IP-adress, so this isn't a
national DNS-problem.

Concerning OTR: You might want to read into the specifications to find
out OTR is actually burned into the protocol itself.
I'm not sure about ZRTP however, given the code for VoIP is not done
yet, but this may also be covered by the protocol already.
They really did a fine job there!

> Indeed I'm using Jitsi at the moment, despite the fact that it's in
> Java and has an interface that you'd expect for that. But it works,
> and is quite secure over the wire, and that counts for a great deal.

Well, SIP again.

> Can you explain why Tox-core is different to say Pidgin or Linphone,
> both of which IIRC have some sort of interfaces for building
> alternative clients?

It's different, because it's decentralized. You don't need to
"register", as it's building on top of a DHT-P2P-network and you just
have a hash-key you give to your friends and they can directly add you.
This strong benefit is imho one of the key advantages over centralized
systems like those based on XMPP (Pidgin being a client).

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>