Re: [dev] [proposal] Suckless Tox-Client as a Skype replacement

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:15:25 +0100

Greetings.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 15:15:25 +0100 FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:48:55 +0100
> Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
>
> > I’m waiting for bitlbee implementing tox. We already have really good
> > IRC clients. Add video support to them using SDCC and you are set. All
> > of these problems have been there before. Reuse what’s being used –
> > the Unix philosophy.
>
> That's a nice idea, Christoph. Then you could just keep on using
> ii, sic or whichever IRC-client you prefer.
> However, I see certain incompatibilities between Tox and IRC when it
> comes to the structure of messaging (e.g. focus on p-chats).

Just look at how it’s done in bitlbee. You have the tox account and
there are users you open queries to. Just look at how different IRC can
be represented in pidgin and regular IRC clients like irssi. So it’s
just a marginal difference in where to place the name and where to navi‐
gate to to manage contacts.

This is not a client for a mass market, but the masses can’t be saved.
They can only be controlled by a different master.

What you should work on is:
1.) Implement the tox protocol directly or via the API in bitlbee.
2.) Think of and implement a way to handle voice/video via DCC and implement
    this as a handler in for example irssi.
3.) Add this DCC ability to all other protocols in bitlbee, which have some
    extension for this.

You really help all of us more by following these steps.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann