Re: [dev][port] Porting sbase to Java

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 16:49:06 +0200

On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 04:39:00PM +0200, FRIGN wrote:
> Good day fellow hackers,
>
> Over the years I've wondered why we at suckless are still using such
> slow and antiquated languages like C and Bash instead of advanced and
> really fast ones like Java or C#.

I think that is a fantastic idea! I wanted to propose something like
that myself but I didn't dare to...

> To adress this problem, I'm currently working on porting sbase to Java
> to bring more performance into this piece of software and make it suck
> less and more memory-efficient.
> Using Java, I found many ways to improve the echo-command. For
> instance, using a LinkedList of LinkedLists of Characters allows easy
> storage of parameters and easy access through LinkedList- and
> LinkedList<LinkedList>-Iterators.
> A StringBuffer is used to store the output.
> --
> Longer code usually is safer, because there are more ways to do it
> right.
> --
> As of now, I only ported the echo-command into echo.java. More will
> come.
> Please let me know what you think about this great advancement.

Looks good!

I DID notice though that you do not make use of any factories in your
code which has me worried a little bit. Ideally you would take some
inspiration from

https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

and then refactor. We are professionals here afterall.

> Happy hacking!

Thanks for the great contribution! Hope to see more soon!

Cheers,

Silvan