Re: [dev] Surf hacking. Search Engine and Homepage

From: Bigby James <bigby.james_AT_crepcran.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 12:34:19 -0500

On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 02:18:32PM -0300, Henrique Lengler wrote:
> I downloaded and i installed the patch how is described on the website!
>
> I received this message:
>
> # patch -p1 < /home/henrique/surf-0.6-searchengines.diff
> patching file config.def.h
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 101.
> 1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file config.def.h.rej
> patching file surf.c
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 76 (offset 6 lines).
> Hunk #2 succeeded at 144 (offset -1 lines).
> Hunk #3 succeeded at 633 (offset -2 lines).
> Hunk #4 succeeded at 899 (offset -18 lines).
>
> I think that is a error no?
> But i ignored it and puted the codes
>
> static SearchEngine searchengines[] = {
> { "g", "http://www.google.de/search?q=%s" },
> { "leo", "http://dict.leo.org/ende?search=%s" },
> };
>
> in my config.h (that was clean). And i tryed to compile. But i received a lot of errors!
>
> I'm really confusing about do this!

Ignoring error messages and then complaining strangers that something doesn't
work isn't a good way to communicate. The purpose of error messages is to tell
you what the problem is (in this case, the code hunk in the diff intended for
line #101 failed to apply). You can use a search engine to look for key phrases
in error messages that will lead to hints on how to resolve issues.
--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams