[dev][ideas] suckless shell

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:08:47 +0200

Good evening,

I was wondering if you could recommend certain shell-implementations.
Now, the reason why I'm asking is that I checked out some of them and
the according POSIX-specification[0] and wondered how much work it
would be to reimplement it and, of course, if there is any reason to do
so.
Busybox's ash-implementation[1] for instance "only" adds up to around
20k LOC. dash[2], a fully POSIX-compliant shell, has less than 10k LOC.

Reading the source code I discovered lots of cruft, but learned a lot
about how a shell works internally.

The main issue we are facing today are the bashisms in many
shell-scripts, which basically override POSIX-compliance.
However, I mostly face these issues with rotten code and utils for
software relying on auto*hell (hopeless).
For everything else, there's the useful program called
"checkbashisms"[3].

Now, what do you think? Is there any shell to recommend as suckless or
do you like the idea of implementing it as a new project?

Cheers

FRIGN

[0]: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18
[1]: http://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/shell/