Re: [dev][ideas] suckless shell

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:34:55 +0200

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:27:53 -0400
Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is Python suckless? I think it is a very well defined language,
> lots of documentation, and they take time to curate the language
> rather than letting it evolve without a guiding hand

I suppose your question actually was, why Python was not suckless.
Well, I had the fun to work with it for a few months in Blender to
write shaders and game logic, later on enjoyed studying the
portage-sources written in Python and came to the conclusion that the
language may be well-defined, but almost everything based on it
suffering from namespace-inconcistency.
I understand that the developers prefer well-definedness over
backwards-support, but it definitely is not too much to ask for not
having code break after minor version upgrades.

I also don't like the idea of lambda-functions, but this depends on
personal taste.

Cheers

FRIGN

--