Re: [dev][ideas] suckless shell

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:47:28 -0400

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 21:14:54 +0200 Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> A suckless shell in my mind would be one closer to Python with baked
>> in support for execution and piping
>
> Yes, Python with less batteries, compilation, scripting and better pip‐
> ing support should be ideal.
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Christoph Lohmann

I third this- IPython supports doing things like ls and cd in its
shell, and to execute anything else using /bin/sh, just do ! at the
beginning (so you can do piping and other common shell tasks without
weird behavior).

There is also a Ruby shell that reinvents how to interact with shell
commands: http://pryrepl.org/

Essentially you can do: .ps.kill() ,which would kill all processes

All in all I think using any higher level language and having its own
shell would be ideal- I think many of us opt for python because of its
consistent syntax.

And how does python not have scripting? Additionally, there are
programs that compile python...You've got me at piping though.