Re: [dev][ideas] suckless shell

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:10:03 -0400

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM, FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:47:28 -0400
> Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I third this- IPython supports doing things like ls and cd in its
>> shell, and to execute anything else using /bin/sh, just do ! at the
>> beginning (so you can do piping and other common shell tasks without
>> weird behavior).
>>
>> There is also a Ruby shell that reinvents how to interact with shell
>> commands: http://pryrepl.org/
>>
>> Essentially you can do: .ps.kill() ,which would kill all processes
>
> Are you serious? Ruby?

Why are you assuming that I suggested using Ruby would be a good idea?
All I wanted to point out was how that shell took a different approach
to integrating a high level language with shell conventions.

>> All in all I think using any higher level language and having its own
>> shell would be ideal- I think many of us opt for python because of its
>> consistent syntax.
>
> It's not consistent to use different high-level-languages for this.
> Additionally, a shell is not only used for parsing and executing shell
> scripts, but also for handling direct user-input.

1) People have preferences, unfortunately.
2) Well...Python shell handles direct user-input...
3) This is not a perfect world.

>> And how does python not have scripting? Additionally, there are
>> programs that compile python...You've got me at piping though.
>
> Well, I don't think you've ever read what a Python-compiler spits out
> at the end. You would be amazed!

Nope, I bet I would be! You've convinced me. Lets get some x86
assembler shell thing going on!!

> Why not Java while we're at it?!
Ohhh boy, don't tempt the others....