Re: [dev] [surf] WebKit1 deprecated

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2014 16:03:19 +0200

Greetings.

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 16:03:19 +0200 YpN <ypn_AT_autistici.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to use surf as my primary browser and few weeks ago I decided
> to compile WebKitGTK 2.4.0. After that release, WebKit1 won't be
> included[1] in the tarballs.
> Actually, I like to compile the last WebKitGTK release for my favourite
> browsers. Could you tell me if it changes something for us?
> If I'm not wrong, surf only works with WBK1 API. Do we need to stick
> with <2.4?
> Before you replace WebKit by something sane (TODO[2] mentions it), will
> you adapt it to the new API (I'm not saying it's necessary)? What the
> future of surf?

Webkit‐GTK 1 had a somewhat usable API. With the dependency on user in‐
terface paradigms it got worse.

If Webkit‐GTK 1 ever gets too incompatible to the web these are the con‐
tenders for a new backend for surf:

        Netsurf
        Gecko
        Webkit-$SomeGUIFramework $Version
        dillo?

All of them require nearly a complete rewrite of surf. Anyone taking up
that task will receive great appreciation from me.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann