Re: [dev] reboot, arrow in the knee because of the GNU GPL???

From: Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:17:43 +0200

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 05:57:13PM +0900, Philip Rushik wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 1:29 PM, Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net> wrote:
> > I heard about GNU GPL version wars, was only aware of the benign
> > Linus T. one.
> >
> > Let me laught:
> > Do you really think a GNU GPL version war can reasonnably
> > compensate the defect of code closing from MIT/BSD-like licenses.
> > I'm not weak/stupid enough to let go the advantages of the
> > protection of the GNU GPL for that. Please!
> >
> > I know what's the most important: protection against code closing.
> >

> Can I point out real quick that I addressed this? "Code closing" is a
> terrible argument as I pointed out, MIT/BSD protects from "code
> closing", even a public domain release would protect from "code
> closing".
>
> This is the same logic that led to DRM and the DCMA.

"Code closing" is a shorcut. Basically GNU GPL does forbid open
code to be copied for use in closed source components (you have a
middle ground with the *lesser* versions of the GNU GPL).

I was asked off-list to shut down all my threads.

If you want to know who and why, don't hesitate to ask me
off-list.

regards,

--
Sylvain