Re: [dev] Text-only browser that sucks less?

From: Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe <first.lord.of.teal_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 12:23:29 -0400

Quoth Teodoro Santoni on Sun, Jun 29 2014 00:57 +0200:
> though the controls are nice, despite the damn long cheatsheet
> required, edbrowse will soon suck a lot: it seems that they
> want to port the whole work to c++, to avoid nuisances (?) with
> Spidermonkey.

That is unfortunate. They also describe edbrowse as "a combination
editor, browser, and mail client"[0] and seem to have rolled their
own versions of fetchmail, sendmail and a number of other email
utilities into a rather dense codebase.

It's sad that retawq[1] and netrik[2] have such difficulties
with the modern Web; both were small and somewhat well-defined.
The former used Lynx-style keybindings and menus and the latter
vi-style; both methods are ugly means of working with web pages.

A program with the ability to follow links and post simple
forms--almost like sic, although it would suck more (necessarily)--
would be tremendously useful. Beyond rendering pages, the biggest
challenge seems to me to lie in coming up with a more intelligent
method of selecting links than the usual crufty vi/emacs/Lynx-style
interfaces.

--
Wolfgang Corcoran-Mathe
[0] http://the-brannons.com/edbrowse/