Re: [dev] Why do you use tmux/screen?

From: Weldon Goree <weldon_AT_langurwallah.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 08:42:03 +0530

On 07/01/2014 06:18 AM, Dimitris Zervas wrote:

> After a year or so in the list, I think each and every one is using tmux or screen (I think more tmux, but do not start a war please, that's not the subject).
> Why is that? For the tabs?
> Why not use tabbed? or DWM's mono-view (how is it called when you see only 1 window?)?

Side question: are you intentionally requesting read receipts in emails
to a mailing list?

To your question: I mostly use it to store sessions with different
environments, very useful for doing a lot of cross-compiling (which
seems to take up most of my time lately). Tip: if you do that, also
change PS1 so you can remember which environment you're in. Also, the
ability to detach and reattach a tty is very nice, particularly on a
remote server. You can even run daemons verbosely in a tty and watch
them kvetch in realtime, which is occasionally useful.

Lemma: does anybody know of a good environment-managing program[0]?
Something like what shells do with pushd and popd, but with environment
variables? (And hopefully offering more random access than just push and
pop.) I'd like to be able to save a given environment with a handle and
return to it later by calling that handle; maybe "saveenv foo" and
"loadenv foo" like some firmware systems do. I know on bash "set > file"
and "source file" do that with shell variables (but not the full
environment). Bonus points for making the saved environment available
system-wide if requested (without saving something in every
~/.saveenv/), also for completely nuking the environment. It Doesn't
Sound Too Hard (tm), so maybe I should make one if it doesn't exist. (It
would at least be useful for its creator in that case, which is a
necessary but not sufficient condition for software to suck less.)

[0] http://tools.suckless.org/sbase contains env, which is of course a
"good environment managing program", but not what I'm talking about.

Weldon