Re: [dev] Looking for simple, alpha supporting image format

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:30:32 -0400

Quoth Markus Teich:
> First it would be inconsistent to allow for variable sized width and height
> field lengths, but force the usage of 8 bit per color channel per pixel.

So, um, why aren't you considering variable colour depth? It's a
small complexity cost, but it increases the flexibility
considerably.

I suppose the reason why is that nobody has stated a use-case for
this nice little image storage format. "Store all my images in a
format I can understand and parse easily" seems reasonable to me,
and I would like the ability to do that for any image I happen to
value, regardless of colour depth or dimensions.

> probably also wants more accurate colors than just
> 256 shades of red|green|blue|gray|opacity. And then you are back to the pixel
> value interpretation madness.

Hmm, I should probably learn more about colourspaces and whathaveyou
before contributing again...