[dev] Re: [dvtm] Focus by id instead of order

From: Amadeus Folego <amadeusfolego_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 00:16:24 -0300

So, I started sending a lot of commands to dvtm via the command fifo and
I noticed an odd thing.

Every window exposes a variable called $DVTM_WINDOW_ID, so one can
imagine that if you want to focus on a window you should just pass the
command 'focusn 1' where 1 would be the id of that window.

What happens is something different than this and somewhat confusing.

Maybe there's a reason for it being that way, I don't know if this is a
design decision or a bug.

In any case: I attached a patch that changes the focus command to
use the window id, so that the focus command is invariant in respect to
layout changes and scripts have a better api to interact with.