Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 17:25:32 +0200

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 04:01:15PM +0200, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> TLDR: I'm writing an experimental but (hopefully) highly efficient vim
> like text editor based on a piece chain data structure. You will find
> an url to a git repository at the end of this rather long mail.

I tested the editor briefly and it looks really promising, thanks for
the hard work! Vis looks like something that I hoped neovim would evolve
into eventually...

> There is currently no distinction between what vim calls a WORD and
> a word, only the former is implemented. Though infrastructure for
> the latter also exists.
>
> The semantics of a paragraph and a sentence is also not always 100%
> the same as in vim.
>
> Some of these commands do not work as in vim when prefixed with a
> digit i.e. a multiplier. As an example 3$ should move to the end
> of the 3rd line down. The way it currently behaves is that the first
> movement places the cursor at the end of the current line and the last
> two have thus no effect.
>
> In general there are still a lot of improvements to be made in the
> case movements are forced to be line or character wise. Also some of
> them should be inclusive in some context and exclusive in others.
> At the moment they always behave the same.

In my brief testing I found that H, M, L (in Vim: moving the cursor to
the first, middle or last line of a window) are not implemented and that
G does not move the cursor to the end of the file yet.

In general, are patches that modify vis' cursor movement or operator
behaviour to be closer to that of Vim welcome?

Cheers,

Silvan