Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Andrew Hills <ahills_AT_ednos.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:24:45 -0400

On 9/15/14, 3:03 PM, Marc André Tanner wrote:
> This is true to some degree. The problem is that most people are already
> familiar with vi(m) (myself included). Therefore the hope is that by sticking
> to the vim conventions more contributors will be attracted. As for my personal
> needs they are almost covered by the currently implemented functionality.

And one advantage of vi(m) is that I can get it on basically any
platform, so even if I don't have access to vis or other related
projects, as long as the interfaces are similar, I will not have much
difficulty. But, if the editor's separation allows for other, better
editing interfaces, and the program's simplicity means that it can be
easily compiled on BSDs and Linuxes with all the various supporting
libraries and versions thereof, then I would have no problem learning a
new tool (provided it is actually better than vi).