Re: [dev] [RFC] Design of a vim like text editor

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 15:13:28 +0100

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM, Maxime Coste <frrrwww_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> […]
> That was one of the motivations for swapping selection and operation order in
> Kakoune (haters gonna hate...), by decoupling selections from the operator, you
> can express arbitrarily complex selection operations, you have a (rather limited)
> version of that with vim visual mode.
>
> Once you have that, you can provide the upper level operations by defining them
> by language in term of basic operations.

From what I understand of Kakoune (correct me if I'm wrong) the
selection system is a dynamic/interactive equivalent to the structural
regular expressions of sam/Acme.

1: Can you comment on the difference in expressiveness? (Assuming you
tested Acme/sam, otherwise don't bother.)

2: Does Kakoune have selection macro? I.e., a way to repeat the same
selection keystroke input. Or even better a way to go and edit the
selection pattern like q: does for commands in vim. That would
actually allow to define higher level constructs and reuse them across
projects of the same language, &c.

> The problem with parsers is that besides being quite slow if data driven, they
> are not very good at analysing invalid code, which is the most common state of
> code being edited.

Actually, modern parsers can deal with that. They have failure modes
that allow restarting after a parse failure (i.e., parse the next code
block even if the current one is invalid). Incremental parsing also
helps with speed.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust