[dev][sbase] Proposal of suckless compression

From: Ralph Eastwood <tcmreastwood_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:30:21 +0100

Hi,

Some time ago, there was some discussion about sbase's tar with
compression. I was wondering if this compression tool would
necessarily have to be a standard gzip/bzip2/xz implementation.

As Gzip,Bzip2 and XZ rely on rather complicated code bases, I propose
that a different algorithm (probably based off ROLZ), be used
instead, with a focus on a suckless implementation as opposed to
speed/compression ratio. Having said that, most ROLZ implementations
do tend to have greater speed and higher compression ratio than Gzip.

I know I could easily create a suckless implementation, but would it
be of interest to be included in sbase or is it beyond the scope of
the collection of utilities?

Cheers,
Ralph

--