Re: [dev] [st] St does not work with urwid

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 09:11:35 +0200

> > Sorry, this is wrong, enacs=\E)0 and smacs=\E(0, so the problem is enacs.
> > I don't know why urwid is using enacs. I will review that the definition
> > of it is correct, but again, it seems like an error of urwid.

I have checked the definitions, and there were an error in the
definition of st. Enacs is the sequence that enable the use of
alternate charset, and if a terminal define it, it must be printed
before of using smacs. Almost all implementations of curses print
enacs only when they need smacs, but in the case of urwid they print
it always in the beginning. The problem here was that our definition
of snacs also switched to new charset, and this was incorrect.

> I have reported the issue on the urwid github[1]. I'd just like to add
> that, other than this issue, st seems to be a great terminal emulator.
>
> [1] https://github.com/wardi/urwid/issues/82

I have corrected myself, and the problem was a bug in the terminfo
definiton of st (also the behaviour of urwid is a bit strange but
it is legal). I am doing a patch that I will submit today to fix
this problem.

This problem is the same that Benno Kroeck reported long time ago
(more of one year ago) about alot mail client. From the README.md
of alot:

        Alot is an experimental terminal MUA based on notmuch mail.
        It is written in python using the urwid toolkit.

So I hope the patch will also fix this other problem.

Regards,

--
Roberto E. Vargas Caballero