Re: [dev] surf rewrite for WebKit2GTK

From: Sylvain BERTRAND <sylware_AT_legeek.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:33:47 +0100

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 01:15:04PM -0500, F Hssn wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 12:34 AM, Andrew Hills <ahills_AT_ednos.net> wrote:
> > On 10/25/14 13:41, F Hssn wrote:
> >>
> >> Following suckless's minimal philosophy, I'd be interested to find out
> >> ... <snip> ...
> >> latest webkit.
> >

> > Do you really want to write your own Javascript engine?
> >

> Well, I hadn't thought of that but now that you mentioned, I
> downloaded v8 and spidermonkey sources, 0.5 vs 1.2 million (both
> mostly C++). Then in v8 I noticed it has directories for architectures
> like arm arm64 mips mips64 ia32. I removed those directories and left
> only x87 and x64 and ended up with 333k, with 223k lines of C++ source
> files.
>
> To answer your question, I guess it comes down to how much time I have
> (as always) which is, not much. But I would definitely like some
> "suckless cleanup" in this direction, just like in other directions.

There is also the c++->C port in order to help remove the c++
compiler/ABI/runtime non-sense from "suckless systems". But the real issue with
javascript seems to be the dynamic bindings with a www renderer which is huge
and insanely complex. This is the feedback I got from one of the netsurf coder.
Netsurf is a www renderer, C coded (may have one or two ugly perl5 code
generators in their SDK). With javascript support (very partial), it uses the
spidermonkey before the mentally ill people at mozilla decided to move it to
c++.

--
Sylvain