Re: [dev] environment variables versus runtime configuration (rc) files versus X resources

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 14:45:14 -0500

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014, at 02:37 PM, Markus Teich wrote:
> you still have to parse the contents of the environment variables
> compared to
> static compiled in configuration as in config.h.

That's true and that's a good point, but I am interested in discussing
environment variables as a form of *run-time* configuration, not compile
time. I know that many suckless programs use only compile-time
configuration and command line options, but I imagine that there might
be some cases where compile-time configuration is not appropriate (e.g.
intended audience is not programmers or program is hard/slow to
compile).

                          love email again