Re: [dev] environment variables versus runtime configuration (rc) files versus X resources

From: Brandon Mulcahy <brandon_AT_jangler.info>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 17:01:13 -0500

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 10:46:06PM +0100, Markus Teich wrote:
> Brandon Mulcahy wrote:
> > I do wish the concept of aliasing were a bit more general. It'd be nice to
> > be able to have something like it in dmenu without having to resort to
> > wrapper scripts.
>
> What is wrong with having a binary with a general interface and some simple
> shell scripts to get a specific use out of it?

Nothing at all is *wrong* with it; but here I'm not talking about a specific
use case. I'm talking about behavior you want 99% of the time. To this end,
aliasing is a minor convenience provided by shells.

I'm not advocating a more general approach, however; that minor convenience
would be nowhere near worth the headache of having to figure out whether a
program is being invoked by a user or by another program in the general case.