Re: [dev] c++-style comments [was fsbm]

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 12:58:52 -0500

On 6 November 2014 10:28, Bobby Powers <bobbypowers_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hiltjo Posthuma wrote:
>> - Don't use C++ style comments (//).
>
> I personally find C++ style comments more pleasant on the eyes for
> single-line comments, and they are part of the C99 spec.
>
> Can someone explain why they think /* */ sucks less than // ? It
> doesn't seem like it is for compatibility when st and dwm require C99
> anyway. An internet search did not turn up much, apologies if I've
> missed an obvious link or previous discussion.
>
> yours,
> Bobby

My code, my response:

While i do vaguely see the benefit of being able to strip all newline
characters, I really don't give a shit. I use // because it is easier
and faster for me to write, especially while debugging and writing new
code.

Many compilers who were only C89 or ANSI compliant did in fact allow
c99 / c++ style comments anyway

Yours Truly,

Calvin