Re: [dev] Patches to fix . for insert and change commands

From: <random832_AT_fastmail.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 21:53:19 -0500

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014, at 17:59, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
> I've written up patches to make it so that I, a, A, s, ce, etc can be
> repeated properly with . -- not sure if I'm doing this the Right Way,
> but
> it seems to work in my tests. Feedback appreciated. Patches attached.

Haven't looked at your patch, but vim stores the inserted keystrokes
(not text - it'll happily let you repeat an inserted sequence of
backspaces that deleted over the beginning of the insertion region,
arrows that moved the cursor, etc) in a read-only register named with
the period character. Pasting it with ^R. or ^A in insert-mode plays
back the keystrokes and adds them to the text which will be in the
register the next time you leave insert mode. I don't know offhand if
this register is used for the . command or not.