Re: [dev] Operating system choice

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:47:49 -0500

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Josh Lawrence <josh_AT_joshlawrence.me> wrote:
> Hello list,

Hey!

> So for those of you that participate in the suckless community in some
> way: What do you run on your computer, and why?

I used Debian stable for a long time because obviously it provided
stability in an environment where I needed it, which is my laptop
which is extremely general purpose. I like the philosophy of actually
being able to use your computer for everything it's capable of. Being
pragmatic is important while working.

Turns out though Debian stable has stomped on my foot a few times
because of out dated packages. A flawless upgrade to Debian testing
was done. I was extremely happy it was just an hour or so of waiting,
reboot and I was in Debian testing.

I would like to use an alternative OS, such as OpenBSD or Plan 9 full
time, but I don't have the resources. Resources in this case are
servers running mainstream OSs to run services and tools like apache,
database software, 3d modeling software and so on. I would like to be
able to learn more about USB, VGA standards and creating device
drivers so I don't have to worry too much about hardware support.
Maybe it'll be a good project for when I'm 50.