Re: [dev] Operating system choice

From: Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 16:27:53 -0500

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff <czarkoff_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Which of these aren't available on OpenBSD in your opinion?

I think OpenBSD has most of what I listed, but lacks hardware support.
Using a computer's CPU to its full extent is nice too. I'm usually
running apache with at least 10 virtual instances and other servers,
with 2 web browsers open, 5 terminals and a bunch of text editing
windows (can you guess what I do yet?). I also like playing games the
odd time, because some people just can't code for 50 years straight.

If I did zero web development I think I'd be running OpenBSD, or hell
even Plan 9, already full-time. I ran Plan 9 full-time once on my
netbook, but couldn't deal with no Wi-Fi. I even had to look through
Intel video driver source code for Linux to adjust the backlight. That
was pretty awesome actually. Thankfully I didn't nuke the LCD.

If you don't game, don't care about performance and peripherals, you
can essentially run any OS of your choice. VGA support is fairly
simple to implement as well as PS/2 devices from what I've observed
(but I've never done this).