Re: [dev] Does suckless need a separate list for general discussion?

From: Dimitris Papastamos <sin_AT_2f30.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 23:56:41 +0000

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 10:23:03PM +0000, Nick wrote:
> Quoth Charlie Kester:
> > If there are enough people who want to keep this dev list restricted to
> > discussion of proposed patches or other concrete work on suckless
> > projects, perhaps there should be a separate list for more general discussion?
>
> No, I think most people here like the mixture of more general /
> philosophical and code stuff. I don't follow the hackers list, but I
> really like the patches and comments I see being here, in the same
> place as other discussion. There are threads I'm not that interested
> in, but I just skip them.

The hackers list is not interesting for reviewing patches per se because
at that point they have already been applied.

It is mostly for providing clarification to other suckless contributors.

The general argument is that dev_AT_ is a relatively low volume list and
having a separate list does not seem to be fruitful.

I'd personally prefer to have a low volume list full of patches that are
yet to be merged than a list intermixed with random _non-technical_ discussion
about compilers, distros, tmux vs dvtm and other such mostly boring stuff.