Re: [dev] Project ideas: goblin

From: Gregor Best <gbe_AT_ring0.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 20:18:35 +0100

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 02:11:14PM -0500, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> [...]
> I don't think anyone here supports Go. I could be wrong but I think
> Uriel was the only real supporter in the community.
> [...]

While Uriel certainly was one of the loudest proponents of... anything
Uriel proposed, I don't think he was the only one who found Go interesting
and good.

I wouldn't use it for coreutils though, mostly because of the ridiculous
binary size. I can live with some web application or file system or other
long running daemon's binary being well over 6MB in size, but for something
like `cat` or `ls`, I wouldn't want that on my system.

An alternative would be a busybox-like approach, but that would take one
last view at suckless in the rearview mirror while blazing past it at
something quickly approximating the speed of sound.

How big are Rust binaries on average? Comparable to something C-like, or
Go-like?

--
	Gregor Best