Re: [dev] Project ideas: goblin

From: Silvan Jegen <s.jegen_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 23:00:18 +0100

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 02:11:14PM -0500, Calvin Morrison wrote:
> On 25 November 2014 at 14:08, Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:
> > From http://suckless.org/project_ideas:
> >> Write the most useful unix userland commands in the new Go language
> >> created by Google to form a robust base for future Unix-like
> >> userlands that do not suffer from the vulnerabilities that are
> >> common in C or C++ code.
> >
> > Is anyone still interested in this? I am tempted to dabble in this.
> > I do not share the love of C that a lot of the suckless programmers
> > seem to have (though I do share the hatred of C++), and I think that a
> > higher level language would have a lot of advantages.
> >
> > However, it seems pointless to proceed unless the Go version is going
> > to supplant the C version. Why have the duplication?
> >
> > Has anyone taken a stab at this? Any other thoughts?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service
> >

> I don't think anyone here supports Go. I could be wrong but I think

I rather like Go but I may be the exception.

At Linuxcon Europe there was a presentation[0] about replacing some C
unix utils with programs written in Go. The code is here.

https://github.com/rminnich/u-root/tree/master/src/cmds

The binary size was my concern as well (Go binaries are big since they
are statically linked) but the presenter preferred to not go (ha!) for
the busybox approach (of using one binary and changing the behaviour
depending on the name of the program that was called) for some reason.

_AT_Greg: You could have a look at the repo and see whether you can re-use
some of the code if you decide to work on the project.

[0] http://lccoelce14.sched.org/event/328270b7c306c1a5b0c38efa564a0968?iframe=no&w=&sidebar=yes&bg=no#.VHT5CnWx3UY