[dev] Object-Oriented C for interface safety?

From: Charles Thorley <charles_AT_thorley.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 13:38:58 -0800

THIS IS NOT A TROLL

I understand that there is zero love for object-oriented programming
methodologies on this list, and I am not particularly interested in this
strategy myself, although some languages that I like (i.e. Python) make
it hard to avoid in many ways. Regardless, this question is not meant
to poll suckless devs on their feelings surrounding baroque,
masturbatory abstraction; I know the answer to that question.

I am attempting to learn C, and in my interweb travels I have
encountered Object Oriented C. One particular theme surrounding this
approach, which I found quite interesting, was the idea of creating safe
and robust interfaces through (relatively?) simple means; namely,
modeling the public/private metaphor in OOP by placing
differently-privileged code in separate files, and managing access
through header files. A link that describes this technique:

http://www.embedded.com/electronics-blogs/object-oriented-c/4397794/Object-oriented-C-is-simple-

I know just enough about programming to be intrigued by the idea, but
not nearly enough to understand its implications in practice. My
questions are:

1. Is this practice (potentially) suckless?
2. If so, under what conditions would this be a suckless strategy?

My apologies if this has been covered previously; googling the list did
not suggest that this is the case, although my attempts to learn C have
revealed that my google-fu has a giant blind spot when it comes to
producing useful results for single-character keywords.