Re: [dev] [st] can't use Xterm font

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 11:48:42 -0500

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015, at 10:24 AM, Vampyrah Broadcasting wrote:
> I want to use Xterms font in st. The Arch Wiki page about Xterm (
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xterm ) says that xterm uses the
> font
> -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-?
> also abbrevated to 6x13. I have verified that with xfontsel. My
> problem is that I cant select this font in the config.h file of st,
> nor can I use anything else that looks like XTerms font in xfontsel.
> Instead, it looks like what's in the attachment. What must I do to
> make the font right?

I have a similar problem, possibly the same problem. I am running
Xubuntu 14.04. I really like the font from xterm that I've used for
many years before switching over to st recently, but it shows up
distorted like in your screen shot. A lot of the fonts I try show up
distorted like that.

What I am doing now is I've made config.h in st:
    static char font[] = "Liberation
    Mono:pixelsize=15:antialias=false:autohint=false";
This looks pretty good for me. I'd prefer to be able to use the xterm
font, but Liberation Mono is good enough for me to work with. Also,
FYI, in case you don't already know, you can use keys to increase and
decrease the font size. I submitted a patch to update the man page but
it hasn't been included yet.

I have a hunch that the problem has something to do with the type of the
font, trutype versus bitmapped versus type 1, but I am no expert in font
technology.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access your email from home and the web