Re: [dev] st: selecting text affects both primary and clipbaord

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 21:15:53 +0100

Greetings.

On Mon, 09 Mar 2015 21:15:53 +0100 Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu> wrote:
> When I select text in st using the mouse, it sets both the primary
> selection and the clipboard selection. It should only set the primary
> selection. The clipboard is supposed to be only for explicitly
> requested copying.
>
> From
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/clipboards-spec/clipboards-latest.txt:
>
> Application authors should follow the following guidelines to get
> correct behavior:
>
> - selecting but with no explicit copy should only set PRIMARY,
> never CLIPBOARD

Please fix X.org to not have such insane assumptions. The clipboard
problem in X.org is completely bugged. St is here to save you from even
considering to make invidual usage of PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD.

Can you please elaborate where you use both selections in parallel for
different tasks and where st does interfere?

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann